First concept.
Didn't know quite what I was aiming for. The walk/glide/roll idea could have gone somewhere but to be honest I already had a better idea in my head.
And thus, Better Idea.
<insert surrealist ramble>
A mask was the first idea I had for the Meaning object, and lends itself well to a meaningful, yet somewhat creepy tale about faceless beings and identity.
The character begins as a faceless ball of limbs that sees a vaguely humanoid creature with a mask for a face get let into the afterlife. After being rejected itself, the limb-ball finds a rock and carves itself a mask. Holding it as if it were a face, it is let through into the afterlife.
Above are a few extra mask designs I came up with. Top Left is more of a default look; Top Right is the sort of thing I imagine the initial ascendant to be wearing (old/weathered); and Bottom is a concept for the body-less angels guarding the gate to the afterlife (very smooth, undefined face/noticeably smaller eyes/potential 'wings').
Partly to try and cut render times, but mostly for stylistic reasons, I'm going to try using the cartoon shaders for this animation in an attempt to make it look cell-shaded. I think this will give it a much more defined and cohesive style while suiting the rather simplistic designs of the various entities involved. This is also going to accentuate the afterlife transition as I plan to have a final shot of the creature in 'heaven' that would use a very different rendering style. So far the two options for this shot are either hyper-realism or a black-and-white hand-drawn style (this would be accomplished by animating it in 3D then hand-sketching over the frame in Photoshop - similar to the Disney 'Paperman' animation).



No comments:
Post a Comment