Saturday, 6 April 2013

MDDN 241 - And Thus...

So, with all four hundred and fifteen hours of rendering complete (and no, that's not a guess. I actually calculated it), my edited movie is ready to be exported and all that's left is to write a paragraph and blog about the proceedings.
That is not as easy as it sounds.
The way I usually do things is to spend a few hours/days straight working on a project, not derailing myself by trying to document everything as I go. As a result most of my minute-by-minute decisions are lost in the mists of time. Even so most of the editing choices remain fresh enough to merit this blog post.
Firstly, despite the amount of time this would have added to the project, I wish I had rendered a few extra shots. Although I had enough footage to fill the relevant portion of the video, I think the frenetic nature of the scene could have done with a few more shots.
Secondly, for some reason when I cached the particle effects the amount that ended up appearing was less that I had encountered in test renders. Although it still looked fine, it lacked some of the intensity of the test renders. To offset this, certain shots were brightened in after effects or had extra glow added.
Lastly, using PNG images was a big help with overlaying the text for the intro sequence, although - and I want to put particular stress on this - the transparency forced me to re-render half my video.
This was a major issue. Even after adding a black background most of the particles were barely visible, and no amount of after effects (that I was/am capable of) was going to fix it.
Hence the complete re-render.

No comments:

Post a Comment