Monday, 16 September 2013

MDDN 243 - Issues in Perspective


so this is my first concept art for the sawmill level - I know it doesn't look much like a sawmill but I felt it needed a bit of the nature in there somewhere. That and glowing roses just look cool ;)

On a more serious note, I'm finding it rather difficult to create a coherent aesthetic with the perspective view (in particular I haven't been able to translate my blue/white style from my game concept into this. And there are a few concept ideas I'm sketching that can't really be done in the perspective either...), It's actually really hard to design something interesting around a hexagon of lanes that have very little area for me to make interesting. The perspective is reaaaally killing my creative ideas here...

I've also had some feedback on the overall concept of the game and the general consensus is that the spinning world would be fine for something one-off, like a boss level, but would be too nauseating for any longer timespan - especially given the complexity of the art. Other games have done this sort of gameplay with a fixed perspective and really simple art but I'm starting to think with everything including the background moving it's going to get really hard to tell what's important/going to kill you. And that's seriously important...

Also, given a play with the mock-up people have found the controls really confusing when you're on the top half of the screen (we could potentially get past this by having the character fixed at the bottom and the screen rotate to keep him there?).

No comments:

Post a Comment