So after some pretty serious discussion we voted to keep the hexagon mechanic...
I still don't think this is a good idea, I'm finding it really hard to come up with interesting environment designs working around it. I did suggest that we could try converting the game to be more audiosurfy (ie: three lanes aligned horizontally), that would give me a lot more room to be creative but the general consensus was that the hexagon was the original concept and it needed to stay.
It's a real shame I'm having so much difficulty with the environs as the game works really well as the hexagon and ugh I just wish I could draw in perspective...
We came to a bit of a compromise though - I'm going to try doing the art from here as multiple flat planes that zoom out past the camera and fade into the distance. This'll allow me to design something more 2D as well as add more movement into the environments. My girlfriend Cat has said she'll help me with the designs, she has a really cute swirly style of drawing and if we could incorporate that I think it'd be a really good aesthetic to use.
No comments:
Post a Comment